diy knot

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pink Frosting

I was remined more than once this past birthday that I am now a quarter of a century old.  Thank you.  I don't really mind getting older at this point but it was kind of weird to think that being 15 in highschool is ten years ago.

Anyway, for the past few years my parents have been able to celebrate most of my birthdays with me on my birthday.  Obviously this happened all the time growing up but it's a bit more difficult when living 13 hours away from home.  I don't get to see my family enough so it's nice when I get to look forward to my birthday knowing that they will come to us/me in college!  And this year, the whole fam came! 

Let me back up a couple days though..Clay and I celebrated a couple nights before my actual birthday and before family came in.  Our celebration was pretty low key, but he spoiled me with gifts and took me to get some of the best crabcakes we can find in Syracuse (for those of you local--Limestone Grill in Fayetteville--pricey and they're only an appetizer but I had a craving)!  Clay has this problem when he buys me gifts that he doesn't want to wait to give it to me.  Sooo, I actually opened gifts from the beginning of October all the way up to the two days before my birthday because I insisted that he surprise me with something for my actual birthday!  It's not like I can get upset with him for wanting to give me stuff though ;)..he really is the sweetest and gives me the best gifts!!

Here are a couple pictures of me opening Clay's gifts:


The first gift (from this night) was a cake platter that he remembered we had registered for at Williams and Sonoma that I had really wanted, and the second is a monogrammed (with my new initials!) jewelry box!  Clay was a bit disappointed after we got married and he learned I was storing my jewelry (several pieces from him) in a purple shoebox.  I love the white wood and that it's personalized!

Soooo, moving forward a day..family comes in!  My birthday (November 6) fell on a Saturday this year and my workplace actually gives you your birthday off..so I got to make a 3-day weekend out of it without losing my precious vacation time from the year of weddings!  Mom and Dad got in on Thursday evening and we spent Friday with just the two of them.  It has become somewhat of a tradition for Dad and Clay to go pawn shopping while Mom and I usually head to the mall.  I have to admit that sometimes I wish there was some sort of hidden camera to watch Dad and Clay rummage through these pawn shops..or to watch Clay ghost Dad as he tries to keep up :).  When we split up like this I usually get some form of text message informing me of a debate that just happened between Dad and the owner, a new tool that was just learned about, or how exhausted my poor husband is as he tries to keep up with my energizer bunny dad.  Time with family is truly a treasure when you live so far from them.  We laugh a lot and just simply enjoy the time being around each other. Dad is usually his goofy self (until he and Clay start talking politics when they both turn super serious) and Mom tries to keep him under control.  I think Clay pretty much understands what life is like with an engineer and super sweet former teacher.  Below is a picture of Mom and Dad:

Then on Friday the rest of the family arrived!  Kari, Kelli and Peter got in Friday evening just in time for chilli and potato soup.  This picture makes me laugh because our tiny apartment doesn't even have a seat for everyone to eat.  Dad rolled over Clay's computer chair to eat at the bar with Kelli and Peter while Mom, Kari, Clay and I are at the 4-person table:
Then on Saturday we took everyone to Skaneateles to show them the quaint little town and the pier that we got engaged on!  Definitely took advantage of the photo op:


That last one is Clay ruining my picture of everyone walking back.  Stinker.

We finished up on Saturday going out to dinner at a local restaurant, opening gifts, and of course having cake and ice cream!  Growing up, Mom always made our cakes and it was of course up to us what we wanted.  Angel Food isn't my favorite cake by any means but I love the memory of the pink frosting from growing up..she would make a confetti Angel Food cake and then drizzle pink frosting over it..so I chose it to have this year.  Maybe I am getting more sentimental in my old age. 


..notice the cake is on the new cake stand :) 

Everyone but Dad headed home on Sunday morning..he got to stay an extra night with us before heading to Philly for a business meeting..it just worked out well like that.  I got to finish up my birthday weekend going to a train show with Dad and Clay.  I honestly can't complain as it was actually kind of interesting and almost any time with family is good time.

Thanks a bunch to my family for making the trip out..it means so much that you guys make it a priority to see us up here.  Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment