diy knot

Sunday, June 12, 2011

vacay in may

May meant it was time for Savannah and Hilton Head!  The plan was to spend a long weekend in Hilton Head with Clay's family all to the credit of Patty and Stu signing up for one of those 'listen to us try to get you to sign up for a vacation plan and we'll give you a place to stay.'  Rather than flying into Savannah, Georgia, on Friday with the the rest of the fam, Clay and I headed down to Savannah Thursday afternoon to meet up with my cousins Tausha and Chris who live nearby on Wilmington Island. 

Knowing what its like to live far from family, we definitely wanted to make the effort to see Tausha and Chris and their two boys.  We had a great time catching up and eating lots of lasagna and waffles.  The boys were so sweet..although somehow I didn't take any pictures with them.  Tausha showed Clay and me around Wilmington Island Friday morning and we even got a quick peek at Paula Deen's house :).  Below are a couple pictures of us on Tybee Island:




Friday afternoon Patty, Stu, Nick and Kristin got into Savannah where we met up with them.  We had lunch at a favorite local restaurant and then took a trolley to cover the city's history.  I have to admit I'm not much into historical pictures so I'm only showing two..the rest will be people-oriented pictures.  Below is a large catholic church that was very ornate.  To be honest, I don't really remember the details and I'm not even sure why I'm including it because I don't really have any association with the catholic church but I think I feel obligated to show some history:

And the second historical monument: the Forsythe fountain?  I'm not even sure if that's what its called but I think it is.  Patty and Stu are there with the fountain and then the bicycle taxi is on the left:

Friday evening we all headed up to Hilton Head in the family (rented) mini-van.  Clay and I had the pleasure of sitting in the very back seat continuously..I guess it just comes with being the (nicest?) youngest siblings :).  We didn't take a lot of pictures here either but below is definitely one of our best photo op's.  This was in Sea Pines out by the lighthouse one evening before dinner: 



I had thrown around the idea of a coordinated family picture but didn't follow through on it.  You can see that is part of the reason in couples pictures rather than a group picture. Maybe sometime we'll get a big family picture and Stu can submit it and give an update on the fam to the Air Force?  We'll try to make it happen..

On our last full day, we rented some bikes to take out on the beach.  I think Hilton Head is one of my favorite beaches.  I had never been on a beach where the sand was hard enough to ride a bike.  It's also one of those remote-ish beaches that doesn't have a boardwalk.  I prefer the more remote beaches to those that are right on the edge of town.  Anyway, so we took the bikes out one morning and then Clay and I went back out in the evening. 

Look how cute he is riding along :)

 Us using self-timer out on our bike ride:

Me trailing Clay as he made a game out of how many jelly fish he could run over.  The jelly fish were everywhere.  I had never seen so many (well, actually, I'd never seen jelly fish).  All of those little bumps in the sand are actually jelly fish.  How many times can you use 'jelly fish' in one picture description?

Here's a close up:

That about wraps up our mini family vacay.  Thanks Patty and Stu!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment