diy knot

Thursday, February 10, 2011

From Cooperstown to Watertown

Patty and Stu came for a visit just before the end of Summer.  We met them down in Cooperstown, which just happens to be the home of the Baseball Hall of Fame.  I am actually a baseball fan myself, but this is like four stories of baseball..a little more than I can handle!  I'm afraid that the pictures I choose to highlight probably aren't the same ones a guy might choose to highlight...but, I guess it comes with being the blogger.  Here are a couple shots from inside the Hall of Fame:



(that last picture is of a girl's uniform with "City of Peoria, Illinois" on the badge) Cooperstown sits right on a lake and is home to a beautiful resort..the Otesaga Resort?  I don't always have a very good memory..  We were able to walk around and enjoy one of our last warm weekends:


Cooperstown was on Friday night and Saturday morning we left for Alex Bay or the 1000 Islands region.  These places are in the Watertown area and Watertown makes my title more catchy.  Anyway, the 1000 Islands regions is beautiful!!  Patty and Stu treated us to a boat ride that tours the whole lake region.  Basically it is what its name says it is!  There are thousands of little islands..some big enough for mulitple houses and some that are too small to even stand on.  The people that want to spend big bucks buy an island and build a house on it.  The lake freezes over in the winter so many of them are just summer homes.  I enjoy snowmobiling but not to get to my front door.



Finally, there is the most awful story dealing with these islands.  So this really rich man (I can't remember what he did) was deeply in love with his wife and wanted to build her a castle on an island.  I think the island is shaped like a heart..or something is (there's my lack of memory again)..and he builds her the most extravagant castle called Boldt Castle.  I'm thinking its about seven stories tall (???) and the kids had their own play building and it was just beautiful.  The castle was ninety percent complete when the wife got sick and eventually died leaving the husband to vow he would never step foot on the island again.  He stopped all work on the castle and it stayed like that for many many years.  The castle is now in the process of being restored but is still pretty crummy on the inside.  The property that it sits on is beautiful and we definitely took advantage of the photo-op:



I know..its not the greatest family picture but we're all in it..and there is supposed to be a lighthouse in the background that someone (either Clay or Stu) really wanted in it which should explain the awkward positioning.

Anyway, we had a good weekend and saw some neat places.  Clay does a great job of researching what we have near us so we're not the people that lived by something and never went to it.  See what all we have to offer if you come to visit Syracuse?? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment